Italian Rice Stuffed Peppers
My husband absolutely loves stuffed peppers. He doesn’t like it so much when I experiment with flavors, but most of the time he doesn’t complain when it comes to a new set of flavors I roll out. I know there are several ways to make stuffed peppers, and I’m sure this recipe is probably hanging out there somewhere because I know I’m not the only one who thought that this combo might taste good. I of course didn’t try it as tomato sauces and peppers don’t sit overly well with me, but my husband quite liked these ones.
First of all you want to set your oven to 350 degrees, and spray your pan with cooking spray. Then chop the top of the pepper off and pull out the insides of the peppers. I chop the tops up, minus the stem, and set them off to the side for later use. You’ll want to boil your peppers up in a large sauce pan or one big enough to fit them. I cook four of them at a time, since my husband also has them the next day for lunch. Which they reheat very well! You’ll want to boil them for at least 30 to 45 minutes depending on how big the peppers are that you bought.
Then you will want to cook up your hamburger, throw in a dash of Italian, basil, and oregano and the chopped up tops of the peppers in to give the hamburger meat a nice flavor. Cook the hamburger meat until browned and put it into a large mixing bowl.
Cook the rice, I use a quick instant 10 minute cook rice with these, as it cuts down the cooking time and overall time spent in the kitchen. Of course if you have a rice cooker and don’t have instant rice you can cook this while your peppers are boiling too.
Put the rice in with the hamburger, open up your tomato sauce and dump it in. Add in a little more seasoning, and some cheese then mix until everything is coated in the tomato sauce. Drain your peppers and run cool water over them so they are easy to handle. Fill them up so they have a decent amount inside then place them inside of the pan. Any remaining mix you may have go ahead and just put it into the bottom of the pan. It gives the peppers some extra support on the bottom of the pan. You’ll want to cook them for 30 minutes or until they are heated all the way through.
Once cooked and out of the oven top with a bit of mozzarella cheese while they cool down and then they will be ready to serve. Enjoy!
- 1lb of ground hamburger
- 4 Red or Green Peppers
- 3 Cups Rice
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 24oz Can Tomato Sauce (if you want extra tomato sauce add in an 8oz can too)
- 1tsp Italian seasoning, (both in hamburger and sauce)
- 1tsp Basil, (both in hamburger and sauce)
- 1tsp Oregano, (both in hamburger and sauce)
Turn oven on to 350 degrees, cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Chop the tops from the peppers and gut it. Boil them for 30 minutes and chop up the pepper tops, minus the stems.
- Cook hamburger while peppers are cooking and add in seasonings and chopped up pepper tops, cook until hamburger is browned. Place into a mixing bowl.
- Cook instant rice, then throw in cooked rice with the hamburger. If you’re using a rice cooker start the rice when you start boiling the peppers.
- Open up the tomato sauce and add in with the hamburger and rice. Add in the next set of seasonings and mixed until coated.
- Spray your pain then drain the peppers. Run cold water over them for easier handling. Fill the peppers up with the mixture and place into pan.
- Dump the remaining mixture around the peppers and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Take from oven, put on mozzarella cheese then serve when cooled.